Unlike the two Lichtenthaler articles, the article was “withdrawn at the request of the authors and editor.” Research Policy refused to let Lichtenthaler withdraw or retract his two articles (after they came under investigation), although the Lichtenthaler retraction at JBV (also an Elsevier publication) was “retracted at the request of the Editor-in-Chief and Author.”
The notice from RP draws a distinction between retraction and withdrawal by pointing to its withdrawal policy. This implies that RP considered Ernst less culpable than Licthenthaler was.
Still, this puts Ernst at five articles retracted or withdrawn, second only to Lichtenthaler’s eight. This is not a race I’d want to win.
Bibliography of Lichtenthaler-Ernst Retracted Articles
- Ulrich Lichtenthaler and Holger Ernst, “Technology licensing strategies: the interaction of process and content characteristics,” Strategic Organization 7, 2 (May 2009): 183-221, doi:10.1177/1476127009102672
- Ulrich Lichtenthaler, “The role of corporate technology strategy and patent portfolios in low-, medium- and high-technology firms,” Research Policy 38, 3 (May 2009): 559-569, doi: 10.1016/j.respol.2008.10.009
- Ulrich Lichtenthaler, “Determinants of proactive and reactive technology licensing: A contingency perspective,” Research Policy 39, 1 (Feb. 2010): 55-66, doi: 10.1016/j.respol.2009.11.011
- Ulrich Lichtenthaler and Holger Ernst, “Integrated knowledge exploitation: The complementarity of product development and technology licensing,” Strategic Management Journal, 33, 5 (May 2012): 513–534, doi: 10.1002/smj.1951
- Ulrich Lichtenthaler, “Product business, foreign direct investment, and licensing: Examining their relationships in international technology exploitation,” Journal of World Business, 44, 4 (October 2009): 407–420, doi: 10.1016/j.jwb.2009.01.003
- Holger Ernst, Ulrich Lichtenthaler, Carsten Vogt, “The Impact of Accumulating and Reactivating Technological Experience on R&D Alliance Performance,” Journal of Management Studies, 48, 6 (Sept. 2011): 1194–1216, doi: 10.1111/j.1467-6486.2010.00994.x
- Ulrich Lichtenthaler, Holger Ernst and Martin Hoegl, “Not-Sold-Here: How Attitudes Influence External Knowledge Exploitation,” Organization Science, 21, 5 (Sept. 2010): 1054-1071, doi: 10.1287/orsc.1090.0499
- Ulrich Lichtenthaler, “Externally commercializing technology assets: An examination of different process stages,” Journal of Business Venturing, 23, 4 (July 2008): 445–464, doi: 10.1016/j.jbusvent.2007.06.002
- Holger Ernst, James G. Conley, Nils Omland, “How to create commercial value from patents: The role of patent management,” Research Policy, doi 10.1016/j.respol.2012.04.012